7 DOMAINS of IT
1. User domain - any user of our systems falls in this domain, whether inside or outside
2. Workstation domain - not just computers, but any device our users use.
3. LAN domain - each LAN and the devices that make a LAN work.
4. WAN domain - the system that links devices across long distances; typically this is
the Internet which is used by most businesses.
5. LAN-to-WAN domain - the infrastructure and devices that connect our organization's
LANs to the WAN system.
6. Remote Access domain - the technologies used by our mobile and remote users to
connect to their customary resources; can include VPN solutions and encryption
7. System/Application domain - technologies used to actually conduct business
functions, as opposed to making connections of various types.
Here is the List of equipment that would be found in each domain except the user
• Wireless Access Point devices.
• NICs Network Interface card – Interface between the computer and the LAN
• Switch – connects devices on a computer network by using packet switching to
receive, process, and forward data to the destination device.
• Physical firewall equipment like server based defense